Soap Challenge - June 2019

This month's Soap Challenge was food and drink ingredients. I got very excited about this, since I've been wanting to try something similar.

My inspiration for the Challenge was Spain. I will be visiting Spain this summer, so I thought Sangria is the perfect solution in anticipation of this trip.

The classic Spanish Sangria consist of fruits (apples, oranges, lemon, lime), orange juice and fruity red wine.


For the food item I used pureed apples, and for the drink ingredient, I used 50% red wine and 50% orange juice. Thought I'd make it a bit more interesting.

Fun facts:

  • Apples are rich in vitamins A, B and C. They also help with acne, blemishes and dark spots
  • Orange juice is filled with vitamin C, potassium, and boosts immune
  • Red wine - a five ounce glass a day - contains antioxidants, increases bone density, and can lower the risk of blood clots

I used Moroccan red clay for the red, Tumeric for the orange, and Rhaoussul clay for the light.



Scenting the soap I opted for a mixture of essential oils: grapefruit , lemon, and litsea. Hopefully, the latter will anchor these citrus scents well.

My recipe:
Avocado oil 5%
Coconut oil 35%
Olive oil 30%
Shea butter 15%
Palm oil 15%
Liquid 5.86 Oz (half wine and half orange juice)
Lye 2.88 Oz
Essential oil 1.5 Oz - I just eyeballed on the 3 ingredients
Colorants - I just eyeballed these as well.

Safety first! Goggles, long sleeve shirt, and gloves will suffice.😆














First, I cooked the alcohol out of the wine. I brought it to boil, then let it simmer for about half an hour. Once this was done, I left it in the fridge overnight. I was going to freeze it in cubes, but realized I don't have any ice cube trays. I ended up putting it in the freezer for about 20 minutes combined with the orange juice before I mixed the lye into it. I did not have any mishaps by doing it this way. Once I stirred in the lye, the mixture turned into a rust color, which looked pretty cool. One interesting bit: the lye fusion became a bit gooey. Not sure how noticeable it is in the picture.


While the lye was cooling off (it heated up to 115F), I prepared my apple. I used one whole apple, peeled it then graded it to a puree. I worked with the 1:8 ratio. I had 20 Oz of oils, so 2.5 Oz of apples.

Once my lye mixture and oils cooled to about 85F, I mixed them together. I only stick blended until emulsion, then I added in the apples. The mixture turned brownish and reached a medium trace pretty quick. Nothing serious, still very manageable. I divided the oils into 3 pitchers. I already had my colors mixed in with a little bit of oils, so I just mixed them. I was hoping for a much lighter color from the Rhassoul clay, but - I think, part of the problem was that the mixture was pretty dark as is. Oh well, live and learn!

After they all got well mixed, I added the essential oils. It smelled delicious, so I'm hoping it will stick. Then pouring! I started with the darkest color, then alternated between the orange and lighter colors. Once the mold filled up, I grabbed a bamboo stick and swirled thoroughly inside the mold. Then I packed a little extra batter into the middle to get some texture.


Here is the final soap:


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2019 Soap Challenge